Tips & Techniques > Uber Smart Digital Pattern Organization with OneNote

Posted on: 12/10/11 9:16 AM
Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people   Very Helpful by 8 people
Web site/URL: photo
An update:
After pondering the many ways I could organize my pattern stash, I realized that using Microsoft's OneNote would be a great solution! I created two notebooks, one for patterns, and another for fabric so I can open both windows side by side whilst planning my next sewing project. I set up the notebook with pattern category tabs such as dresses, tops, pants, etc.. Cataloging the info for the patterns has been simple and relatively quick. Once I find the pattern online by using the pattern maker sites (I'm a member of ClubBMV) I simply right click on the pattern jacket, back cover with yardage, line art, etc., and click "Add to One Note." The page is then added to my notebook in a flash. The beautiful thing about OneNote is that it indexes it's contents so the notebook is searchable by keyword. For instance, if I want to find all of my dress patterns that are suitable for knits, I can search for dresses, knits, and wahlah they appear!!! Uber smart! Plus, I can print the notebook if I desire. I also saved it as a .pdf, which I then imported to my Droid phone so that my whole collection is handy when I shop for fabric, etc..
You can read more about this tip and see a screenshot on my blog

<< Previous    Next >>

Add Tip/Technique    Read All Tip/Techniques

ChantillyDreams said... (1/29/12 11:52 AM) Reply
Thanks so much for all the nice feedback. Glad the tip helped! For me it's a Godsend. Happy sewing!
bconky said... (12/15/11 2:17 PM) Reply
Thanks great idea
Pj3g said... (12/14/11 4:34 PM) Reply
OK, I am technically challenged so don't understand your tip but after checking your blog, I have to tell you I love your sewing room and your dogs are too cute!!! Bet it's wonderful to come home and be greeted by those 3!
Sharon Rose said... (12/12/11 8:58 AM) Reply
WOW! This is, without a doubt, one of the best tips I have ever read. I have a ton of patterns and all are stored in boxes which makes reviewing them a time-consuming task. And it seems I will invariably be shopping, locate a beautiful piece of fabraic, and not know how much to purchase...which usually results in a cautionary, too much. I have the One Note on my computer, but had not explored it. I definnitely will, now. And I am buying myself a Droid phone for Christmas, so the suggestion of how to use this info with that comes at a timely date. This will save me gobs of time snce I won't have to rummage through my files of patterns that are stored in boxes like I have done in the past. The old saying of "2 heads are better than one" sure applies here. Thank you for sharing. Have a blessed Christmas.
quathy said... (12/11/11 11:25 PM) Reply
I love OneNote, too, but haven't used in on my Droid because you can't sync like you can with a MS phone... I hadn't thought of using the .pdf feature! Super idea!
Patti B said... (12/11/11 9:10 AM) Reply
EnloeNurse said... (12/11/11 0:19 AM) Reply
A great idea, thanks

Paradiso Designs Retro Granny Skirt Formula Pattern

Paradiso Designs Retro Granny Skirt Formula Pattern

Favorite Things Happy Feet Pattern

Favorite Things Happy Feet Pattern

Copyright © 2015® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.