Expo Reviews > Puyallup Sewing and Stitchery Expo 2012

Posted on: 3/13/12 6:06 PM
Rating: starstarstar
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people   Very Helpful by 4 people
Web site/URL: photo
This is an enormous event with classes, shows and vendors. I attended two of the one-needle (cheapest) classes, which were helpful and interesting. One was on tailoring (mostly using fusibles for quick results), and the other was a sleeve and armhole class with Connie Crawford.

There were hundreds of vendors, mostly skewed toward quilting, but there were still a fair number of apparel-sewing booths. Vogue Fabrics was there with lots of great deals on silks, cottons, and other high-quality fabric.

A word of warning to the young--the crowd was mostly middle-aged-to-elderly sewers. I saw only a couple of other people under forty among the thousands who were there. That's not to say that I didn't have fun; I learned a lot and enjoyed the shopping. Just be aware that that this is a slow-movin', embellished-sweatshirt-wearin', quiltin' kind of crowd.

Be sure to get the famous Fisher scones on your way in or out of the expo hall, and wear comfortable shoes. I only went for one day, and I feel like I covered the offerings adequately.

Go with a friend or relative for the most fun. I went with my Mom and we had a great time together.

<< Previous    Next >>

Add Sewing Expo Review    Read All Sewing Expo Reviews

RoseOK said... (9/18/13 11:07 PM) Reply
I went this past year, 2013, and really liked it. I stayed at the Marriott Fairfield, it is in walking distance to the Fairgrounds. I took 16 classes in 5 days. I am a clothing sewer and I found many classes to take. If you attend any sewing event, shop at any fabric store, you will see a lot of women over the age of 30. What 30 year old can afford a good sewing machine or has the time to sew as a hobby? I am planning on attended again this year. I am in my 50's and I did not feel old. There is a lot of walking so you should be in good shape. Nancy Ziemann was the guest speaker Friday night, she was so funny. I met some great ladies last year and I am still in touch with them. I live MA and I wasn't the only crazy that traveled that far. This year I plan on taking 2 suitcases for all the fashion fabric I will buy. Sign up for the Expo newsletter and there is also a Yahoo group that was extremely helpful. I hope to see you in February.
Foxsews said... (9/17/13 1:43 PM) Reply
Ahhh. Thanks for the review, this is helpful. I wish it came without the smack at the "middle-aged to elderly." We don't all move slow and wear embellished sweatshirts. It sounds like they need to spin off the quilters from the apparel peops. Any thoughts on if its worth traveling for the apparel parts? Thanks again for your review.
Learn To Sew said... (7/5/12 12:10 PM) Reply
I want to attend next year or the year after. It seems I would fit in the crowd just fine, even without the embellished sweaters and all. I am in the slow-moving theme when it comes to quilts and sewing. I would need to find someone to go with, as it does not sound like much fun going alone.
RoseOK said... (6/28/12 9:35 PM) Reply
How many days did you go? What hotel did you stay? I really want to go next year.
cdc2 said... (3/22/12 4:35 PM) Reply
I also wish they had more apparel sewing booths - I do quilt but have my favorite local stores for that. I didn't sign up for any classes, but did attend several free fashion shows. And I did notice the age of most of the attendees - I guess I am one of them, but "young at heart"
velosewer said... (3/14/12 8:54 PM) Reply
There's definitely heaps of quilting vendors. I wish they had more apparel sewing booths. The workshops last year were great.
sewsally said... (3/14/12 11:43 AM) Reply
Be sure to check out some of the free fashion shows next time - on the Free Stage in the main vendor hall and upstairs in the other building. That is my favorite part of the show. For fabric, I love checking the Vogue booth many times because they bring in more fabric all the time from their semi truck, also Billie's and Marcy Tilton's booths. There are also more fashion fabric vendors but these are my favorites. I saw some younger men there with girlfriends that were very interested in the fashion shows. Too much quilting stuff for my taste but there is plenty to keep you mesmerized for several days.
The Technique of Underlining Garments
The Technique of Underlining Garments

Paradiso Designs Everyday Bag Pattern

Paradiso Designs Everyday Bag Pattern

My Favorite Duffle Bag Paper Pattern

My Favorite Duffle Bag Paper Pattern

Copyright © 2015® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.