Tips & Techniques > Free Zippers

Member since: 5/23/04
Reviews: 37 (tips: 6)
Posted on: 5/21/12 9:01 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 7 people   Very Helpful by 9 people
Never throw anything in the trash that has a usable zipper. I have found many uses for zippers headed for the trash. I harvest zippers from those bags that bedding comes in or old purses. Also, if you are throwing away old children's school backpack - those zippers are super strong. It really only takes a few minutes to literally rip those zippers out. Reclaimed zippers are not really good for dressmaking, but are great for home dec sewing.

<< Previous    Next >>

Add Tip/Technique    Read All Tip/Techniques

speattle said... (6/9/12 12:54 PM) Reply
I have been know to harvest buttons too.
kathleen1304 said... (5/30/12 7:12 PM) Reply
Thank you, BeckyW!
Cultured Purl said... (5/23/12 11:20 AM) Reply
I take all zippers out of jeans b'f I get rid them, the denim makes great American Girl doll clothing! Purse hardware,,,,WISH I had thought of that too! DUH!
Lauri Jean said... (5/22/12 11:44 AM) Reply
LOVE IT! Don't forget about buttons and purse hardware.
6kidsathome said... (5/22/12 10:38 AM) Reply
I never thought of reclaiming from bedding bags. They would be a nice length to work with.
tigergirl said... (5/22/12 0:21 AM) Reply
I just got a bag (big, big bag) of zippers from my Mother who has been doing this all her life. One of them was obviously from something my baby sister wore to primary school judging by the label on it - she's nearly 40!
AtiyaAfi said... (5/21/12 11:38 PM) Reply
I do this ALL the time
Mary Stiefer said... (5/21/12 11:05 PM) Reply
Great idea - thanks for the tip

Copyright © 2015® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.