Online Sewing Class: Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Reviews: 4 (tips: 3)
Skill level:Expert/Couture
Posted on: 5/31/12 0:07 AM
Review Rating: Helpful by 6 people   Very Helpful by 11 people
This is my first tip I hope is useful to others as it has been for me. I've found it convenient to wind odd lengths of thread from spools and bobbins on empty thread spools - you know, when there's not enough thread on the bobbin or on the spool to complete a seam. Often there is enough thread to sew up a loose button or hem that's come loose. This way I don't have to take thread from a spool I'll use for my sm. These odd lengths of thread come in handy when doing hand basting and other odd hand sewing where I need only a small amount of thread. I also leave a few basic colors near the front door for those times when I need to replace a loose button I've JUST discovered on my way out the door! Or that hem I accidently caught my heel in and pulled the threads! Saves mucho time in looking for a thread and needle back in my sewing area (which of course is not near the front door!) especially since these are the times I'm running late for an appointment. I now have a nice stack of such odd lengths in a variety of colors.

<< Previous    Next >>

Paganoonoo

Upcycle sewing patterns

Add Tip/Technique    Read All Tip/Techniques

6 Comments
DKJ said... (9/17/12 7:59 PM) Reply
I have been saving short lengths on a couple of empty spools for awhile. Very handy! Using contrasting thread for basting is particularly helpful.
cherylwashere said... (8/2/12 7:32 PM) Reply
Great tip........thanks. Now I know why I've been saving empty thread spools... Just found a box of them yesterday looking for of course something else.
RissaLyn said... (7/31/12 8:30 PM) Reply
This is a really great idea!
AtiyaAfi said... (6/2/12 10:37 PM) Reply
Reply to Mufffet: Don't worry; I'm sure you have a spool or two with not enough thread to wind a bobbin or thread the machine with for a project. :) I also use this tip with odd ends of ribbon, grossgrain, seam binding, beading, piping, etc. I hold them together with a straight pin. I think of it as being 'green' in my effort to reduce waste and my carbon footprint.
Mufffet said... (6/2/12 11:10 AM) Reply
Terrific idea! And to think I just threw out a spool. I will remember this tip - very good and I haven't considered it before. :) Thanks!
CBLSEWS said... (6/1/12 4:49 PM) Reply
Great Idea, Thanks for sharing.

Sew Chic Contance Dress Pattern (ln8404)

Sew Chic Contance Dress Pattern (ln8404)

Bluegingerdoll The Betsy Pencil Skirt Paper Pattern

Bluegingerdoll The Betsy Pencil Skirt Paper Pattern

Copyright © 2015 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.