Online Sewing Class: Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Reviews: 233 (tips: 7)
Posted on: 8/5/12 12:12 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people   Very Helpful by 18 people
Web site/URL: photo
Sewing rick rack can be a bit of a challenge.

PR member loti suggested the use of a roller foot to accomplish the task and it worked beautifully.

The insert that came with my roller foot said the following: "Materials which are difficult to feed like vinyl, elastic, corduroy and leather can be sewn smoothly with this roller foot."

Rick rack is somewhat difficult to feed and the roller foot overcame the obstacle it presented.

Additionally, on my roller foot there is a little groove right in the center front which I kept aligned with the center of the rick rack and by doing so the line of stitching kept right in the center of the tape as it sewed along.

So the roller foot helped me in two ways: 1) it allowed for the rick rack and fabric to be fed smoothly through the machine and 2) it provided a visual marker so I could ensure the line of stitching was right down the center of the rick rack.

rick rack sewn on using roller foot

<< Previous    Next >>

Add Tip/Technique    Read All Tip/Techniques

4 Comments
mama2more said... (10/2/13 3:02 PM) Reply
I tried this and it worked beautifully! Thank you!
SouthernStitch said... (8/13/12 8:46 AM) Reply
Thanks for this tip! Love the idea, and another use for my expensive roller foot!
SNIFFELS said... (8/6/12 10:48 PM) Reply
That is a way cool concept to sewing rick rack!! An idea to store away for future reference
ASiverson said... (8/6/12 11:10 AM) Reply
I always have trouble sewing rick rack on my machine, I thought it was me! TFS! I will put this tip to very good use.

More Knits
More Knits

Victoria Jones Collection Happi Coat & Hanten (230)

Victoria Jones Collection Happi Coat & Hanten (230)

Favorite Things Little Sleep Well Pattern

Favorite Things Little Sleep Well Pattern

Copyright © 2015 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.