Tips & Techniques > Used machine needles

Posted by: a life in stitches

About a life in stitches star
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since: 7/16/11
Reviews: 43 (tips: 8)
Posted on: 8/28/12 3:14 AM
Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people   Very Helpful by 16 people
We are advised that best practice is to discard the machine needle after each project(!) but that seems extravagant to me, and after all, I would check the needle for snagging when working out the stitch size etc. on the next project.
When I want to keep a needle for re-use I take a fabric scrap from what I have just finished. The needle comes out of the machine and is pushed through the scrap, then into a little storage box. That way:
1: a used but re-usable needle doesn't get mixed up with brand-new
2: I have a visual reminder of how much use it's had
3: I know the needle size from the fabric without having to read those tiny figures, and don't for example try to sew a curtain with a size 70/10 meant for cotton lawn, or vice versa.
Finally, when a needle is blunt, bent or broken it goes into a safe 'sharps' container for disposal - I use old salt/pepper cannisters from the kitchen, the kind that have a hole covered by a swivel cap. It's useful for pins, hand sewing needles, craft knife blades etc.

<< Previous    Next >>

Boho Banjo art to wear

pdf sewing patterns

Add Tip/Technique    Read All Tip/Techniques

3 Comments
Funkymonk said... (2/3/15 2:09 AM) Reply
I like that. Common sense though in a field I am learning it sure helps that extra bit. The needle tub is a very good concept. I like that. Thank you.
Gingersnap1932 said... (9/17/12 2:45 AM) Reply
some new ideas and very good ones
RLL said... (8/29/12 9:31 AM) Reply
I think that if you are going to reuse needles, which I do on occasion, that this is a great idea. Thanks.

SewBaby Sleeve Saver Smock Pattern

SewBaby Sleeve Saver Smock Pattern

You Sew Girl A-Line Skirt Pattern

You Sew Girl A-Line Skirt Pattern

Copyright © 2015 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.