Class Reviews > The Couture Dress on Craftsy

Posted by: jlg

About jlg starstarstarstar
Member since: 3/5/03
Reviews: 193 (classes: 4)
Posted on: 10/17/12 5:06 PM
Rating: starstarstar
Review Rating: Helpful by 6 people   Very Helpful by 26 people
Web site/URL: photo
I have to warn you that this review is 100% gushing.
First, Craftsy's video format is great. You can easily watch any part that you wish or you can take up where you left off. You can take notes, and they are attached to the pertinent part of the video. You can ask Susan questions, and she answers nearly immediately, even on Sundays. You can ask other students questions. You can post photos of your works in progress and ask questions about the photos. You can post your finished projects. I bought the class for $29.99 (Craftsy has frequent sales), and it was such a bargain.
Second, the instructions themselves are beyond helpful. Yes, the class makes a specific Vogue dress pattern, but the lessons can be applied to anything that you want to take the time to make very well and beautifully. There are 15 lessons: an introduction, 4 muslin lessons, 2 underlining lessons, 3 construction lessons, a sleeves lesson, a zippers lesson, a hems lesson, a lining lesson and a finishing touches lesson (over 7 and 1/2 hours of video class). I never used to make muslins, I had underlined maybe two garments in my life and I tried to avoid all hand basting and sewing. I now know that I was wrong, so very wrong.
Finally, Susan Khalje is wonderful. I could listen to her for hours, and I did. She presents all of her lessons in a completely straightforward, easily understandable way. She also has a warm, approachable personality that is very encouraging.
I feel like that this class has changed who I am as a sewer.

<< Previous    Next >>

Sweater knit fabrics

Add Sewing Class Review    Read All Sewing Class Reviews

8 Comments
pfafffanatic said... (2/8/13 1:24 AM) Reply
I have enjoyed the privilege of taking two classes from Susan Khalje. I think I will buy this class as a refresher. Thanks for the review.
Lynngray said... (11/14/12 5:50 AM) Reply
Thanks for the review! Great
Mufffet said... (10/18/12 2:23 PM) Reply
Couture Dress Class The whole URL - looks like a fun class - I love Craftsy.
Nancywin said... (10/18/12 11:40 AM) Reply
I agree. I have purchased the class, watched some of the videos, but have not yet started the dress. I was in Burbury yesterday and saw a tweed dress that looked just like that vogue pattern too!
Sewmissy2 said... (10/18/12 7:39 AM) Reply
All gushing aside, it is still a great review. I have this class too and have watched just one or two lessons..have not started. I love her teaching style too and must get busy and watch this. Thanks for the encouragement!
ryan's mom said... (10/18/12 6:20 AM) Reply
Thanks for the review! After taking the Bombshell dress class, I purchased this one on a Craftsy sale but haven't started it.
Gingersnap1932 said... (10/18/12 1:43 AM) Reply
So glad to hear your review, I signed up for the class when it was on sale, got my pattern but have not begun...sounds like a worthwhile project. I have taken other classes from Susan here at Pattern Review and was very impressed with her instructions. Thanks for the tip. Leah
Barbara3 said... (10/17/12 6:58 PM) Reply
Excellent review - short and informative. Thanks.

Sew Chic Clara Bow Apron Pattern (ln102)

Sew Chic Clara Bow Apron Pattern (ln102)

Suzi Purse Insert Paper Pattern

Suzi Purse Insert Paper Pattern

Copyright © 2015 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.