Class Reviews > Clone Your Favorite Garment

Posted by: GoodbyeValntino

About GoodbyeValntino starstarstarstar
SC USA
Member since: 9/18/11
Reviews: 125 (classes: 3)
Posted on: 2/24/13 3:26 PM
Rating: starstarstar
Review Rating: Helpful by 4 people   Very Helpful by 8 people
Web site/URL: Clone Your Favorite Garment
In a series of 10 brief lessons Kenneth King demonstrates how to create a pattern from a ready to wear jacket.

I selected a favorite, but simple pencil skirt to recreate. My goal was to duplicate the great fit and shape of my Kate Spade skirt which I had been unable to find in my sewing patterns.

Both seamlines and grainlines were marked with thread on the garment and traced to silk organza. With the help of carbon paper, the markings on the organza were transferred to paper.

Kenneth very carefully and thoroughly explains the process. It is all very easy to understand but you must be vigilant about establishing the lengthwise grain and transferring it through each step of the process.

When I finally traced the front skirt section on to paper, I was shocked and stunned to see its shape - very different than the straight skirt patterns I had been sewing! I realized that I would have never achieved this precision by laying the skirt flat and tracing around it.

The end result was an exact duplicate of my favorite Kate Spade Judy skirt. I'm sold on the class and give it my highest recommendation for anyone who seeks to clone a garment.

My blog shows images of both the Kate Spade and the " K a t i e " Spade.
www.goodbyevalentino.com

<< Previous    Next >>

Sweater knit fabrics

Add Sewing Class Review    Read All Sewing Class Reviews

2 Comments
GoodbyeValntino said... (4/13/13 7:39 AM) Reply
I'm not sure one could clone any garment after this class though I believe the principle is the same. Cloning jeans may be a category unlike no other. Good luck!
InglesideBelle said... (4/10/13 10:21 PM) Reply
Thanks for reviewing this class! Your skirt looks great! I've been trying to decide whether to take this class or Kenneth's "Jeanius" class (Craftsy), which seems quite similar in that it addresses cloning a garment you own - in that case, jeans. That class is directed to one type of garment, whereas this one seems to be more universal. Would one be able to clone any garment after taking this class? Could you share what garments he uses as examples?

SewBaby Totpacks Pattern

SewBaby Totpacks Pattern

Copyright © 2015 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.