Tips & Techniques > Wool batting behind ironing board cover

Member since: 6/6/03
Reviews: 43 (tips: 4)
Posted on: 11/24/03 2:23 AM
Featured in the PR book!
I broke down and bought a cotton June Taylor ironing board cover for the tape measure it has running down the center, It is not entirely precise anymore, but a good estimate nevertheless (and now and then I proof it with a ruler to straighen it out).

The best money I spent was on a third of a yard of 60"wide wool batting to back the cover with. It reduces my need for a pressing cloth (sort of a pillowtop board, buttons on shirts sink into it when I iron them from the back), I don't have the burning or boiling problems with high heat ironing, and it seems to make the fabric recover faster (cooling time is shortened) if I am pressing easily stretched stuff. I don't remember where I read this hint, but I am grateful I followed it.

<< Previous    Next >>

Add Tip/Technique    Read All Tip/Techniques

4 Comments
Mandolin82 said... (3/19/13 10:40 PM) Reply
I was just wondering if this would work so it was helpful to find this hint.
SJ Kurtz said... (1/30/12 2:33 AM) Reply
I should add that since I did this, I use my ironing board to block smaller knitted pieces.
KMangum said... (11/24/03 12:47 PM) Reply
The classic source of 'wool batting' for pressing needs is 'Old Army Blanket'. Check out an army surplus store - or similar, and you can probably find a 100% wool blanket suitable for backing your ironing board. I have a thick cotton batting on top of a thin piece of foam, with a 100% cotton cover. I love it. firm, but yielding, and no scorching.
Mary Reed said... (11/24/03 7:02 AM) Reply
Thanks for the idea of adding 60" wool batting for the back. I finally retired my early 80's ironing board cover. The new batting has immediately flattened and I have been very frustrated with having to constantly pad my ironing.

Islander Sewing Systems EZ Cape Digital Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems EZ Cape Digital Pattern

Making Patterns from Existing Garments - A CD book by Kenneth King

Making Patterns from Existing Garments - A CD book by Kenneth King

Copyright © 2016 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.