Tips & Techniques > Don't throw out that old scanner!!!

Posted by: cherylwashere

About cherylwashere star
United States
Member since: 4/10/04
Reviews: 4 (tips: 3)
Posted on: 3/27/13 11:09 AM
Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people   Very Helpful by 14 people
I took an old scanner from a prehistortic computer system we had laying around and converted it into a LIGHT BOX. I removed the glass top portion of the scanner from the base... It required a not so gentle hand...but I was determined to get it opened. Once opened I removed all the inner was messy but had to be done. A few snips to remove some excess plastic to have the space needed for the lighting source...and what to use for the lighting source??? After trying several things...even a string of Christmas tree lights...thumbs down on that one. The winner is a 13" portable under the cabinet lamp... It took 3 to lightup the glass area. I am searching for another lighting source...the cords on 3 lamps are cumbersome hanging from the light for now this does work for me. I taped a 9"x12" sheet of tracing paper to the underside of the glass and new light box works perfectly. I can trace a design on to my fabric skipping the freezer paper pattern...

<< Previous    Next >>

Add Tip/Technique    Read All Tip/Techniques

cherylwashere said... (9/28/14 4:12 AM) Reply
I recently updated my light box using the bright white LED lighting strip...strip has a sticky backing...just peel off paper. I cut white foam board to fit inside the bottom of the scanner and attached the strip lighting to it. The light strip came with a plugin attachment. I also purchased a battery pack and an electric power source to attach to the light strip plugin... Now I can be portable or stationery... I cut a piece of white foam board...peeled the paper off on both sides and taped it to the underside of the glass as a diffuser... Works great!!!
Demetria said... (8/1/13 1:06 AM) Reply
LED or CFL lights would probably the best options. LED bulbs are really small, bright, last a very long time while CFL are very bright, project very little heat, are low wattage thus use very little power, also last a very long time. is a really good website to try for ideas. I just found & there is also All of those sites also have sewing stuff as well!
cherylwashere said... (3/29/13 0:19 AM) Reply
Hi Goodworks1, The manufacturer is Lights Of America, Linkable Fluorescent Undercabinet Portable Light, 8 Watts and 13 inch length. I purchased the lights at Walmart @ 9.97 each and the replacement blub is 7.97
goodworks1 said... (3/28/13 1:49 PM) Reply
I'd like more info on the type of lights you are using. Wattage? Are they LED or fluorescent? Maybe a link to an example. This is a great idea!
cjsews said... (3/28/13 9:24 AM) Reply
Great idea! I have purchased a box of lights that are all battery operated, about 5 inches across, about 1/1/2" high. They are meant to be for emergency lighting--like a flashlight in a round disk! They could be used easily for a light source for your needs. I am using a shadowbox frame that I bought at a craft store and works fine for my purposes but recycling a scanner is a wonderful idea!
cherylwashere said... (3/27/13 5:08 PM) Reply
Hi ksgentry, I did place a piece of heavy duty aluminum foil on the floor of the scanner and thought 2 lights would be enough...but it wasn't. 3 lights, lights it up perfectly. Let me know if your technique works for you... Thank you, Cheryl
ksgentry said... (3/27/13 1:43 PM) Reply
Love your idea for the light box. I have an old scanner that I just knew would come in handy for something. Now you have given it new life. I was thinking that perhaps using three light fixtures I would try and experiment with aluminum foil inside to get the light to reflect better and possible decrease the light fixtures needed.

The Technique of Underlining Garments
The Technique of Underlining Garments

Fit For Art Trouser Details for Eureka Pants

Fit For Art Trouser Details for Eureka Pants

Christine Jonson Shirred Top & Princess Wrap

Christine Jonson Shirred Top & Princess Wrap

Copyright © 2015® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.