Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review

Advanced Search
returns & refunds
testimonials
Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
Organising your sewing space (Tip/Technique)
Review rated Helpful by 2 people
Posted by: katecorrie
About katecorrie star
Member since: 4/15/13
tips added: 1
Posted on: 6/15/13 4:37 PM
Web site/URL: photo
In pictures - Kate Corrie at www.katecorrie.com how to organise your sewing space in an efficient way so that you can just pick up your pins and get sewing...

Ive had so many people visit this post that I have decided to expand on what I did in detail - as I guess it's a hot topic.

The first thing to say is (as nice as it would be) you don't need to have a whole room as a sewing space. I just have a small corner of our guest room but have made it work perfectly to suit my purposes - and it all tucks away nicely when the guests come to stay!

Here's what I did-
1. Sorted through supplies - I got out all of my bits of fabric, buttons, threads, pins etc and organised them. The fabric was piled according to size (anything bigger than 50cm in one pile, anything less than 2m in another and anything over 2m in another still. I sorted through buttons according to colour (how annoying is it to have to tip the whole jar of buttons out to find a black one at the bottom!).

Set up
I then set up my space - ( you'll notice I did a spot of painting too) I used furniture I already had the cause it fit the space and was a cheaper option. Consider how big your table will be, the drop leaf table Is great because it tucks away and pulls out to provide a large surface for cutting. However I've seen people use computer desks Or cupboards, bureaus etc. in short you need some storage a space for your sewing machine and a chair! My storage came as shelves which I fixed to the wall. This holds my books, sewing Patterns etc (still looking for an efficient way to store my patterns)

Storage

I purchased a clear plastic box from ikea and put all of the 'offcuts' folded in it and labelled the box (my off-cuts are anything less than 50cm or so. I don't keep the really small pieces of fabric.

I also purchased matching clear boxes (it's great because you can see what's inside) and used them to store ribbons, fastenings (zips, velcro etc) and one for bindings and trims (bias binding etc) I labelled them accordIngly so I can just grab and go.

I used old jam jars to store buttons by colour and tied a ribbon in the corresponding colour around each jar. The buttons and the boxes went on th shelves.

I put threads in a clear jar so that I can see what i have at a glance.

I also have a clear small organiser box for snaps, pins, hook and eyes etc.

I used an ottoman to store large pieces of fabric.

Easy access
I tried to put the things id need to grab whilst im using my machine on my desk, so I have pins and a pin cushion, and a tub with scissors, tailors chalk, as ruler and a seam unpicker - this means I have them all easily accessible so that I can sew easily. (label an fabric scissors not for use to save them from being grabbed for Paper!!! )

Light
I then made sure that I had enough light, it this is a problem make sure you get a lamp!

Protection!
The last thing I did was to make a cover for my machine - I wanted to save it from the dust that might settle - this was a fun and quick project and it means I can leave my sewing machine on the side for 'grab and go'. I also hung my tape measures on the notice board for ease- or you could use a small hook to hold them.

As I make clothes I did put a mirror on the wall which is useful and a hook and coat hanger on the back of the door to keep any of my current work neat by hanging it!

And there you have it - the perfect little sewing space using just a few simple ideas!

I hope this helps!!

Www.katecorrie.com
Budo Bear Designs
Asian Designs

<< Previous Next >>

Add Tip/Technique    Read All Tip/Techniques

SandiMacD said...
Turned out really cute. I love the drop leaf table- I have one just like it! Colors are really yummy.
6/21/13 6:43 AM

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us