Online Sewing Class: Bust Adjustments

Member since: 10/29/06
Reviews: 30 (tips: 4)

Posted on: 6/15/13 10:58 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people   Very Helpful by 10 people
Do you have too much fabric & too little storage? I just read this tip in one of my state ASG monthly newsletters. The following tips may be needed at some time for all of us:

Bedroom: Put fabric between the mattresses. Multiple yards of fabric can be stored between your mattress & box spring, just lay it out and layer so it is even. No one will notice when sleeping.

Living Room &/or Family Room: Store fabric in your sofa/couch & chairs with removable cushions. Just lift up the cushions and place your fabric under them, spreading them out flat. If like mine, there is additional space for knits that can be rolled up & tucked into the sides. No one will notice when sitting on them.

Closets: Place fabric over hangers and hang shirts/coats/tops and some pants over the hanger. This will allow many yards to be stored this way taking up very little space.

Trash Can: Purchase a large trash can. Measure and make a round wooden top to place on the trash can that extends over the edges. The lid will not be needed. Fill with fabric. Cover with a tablecloth or your fabric choice. Use this as a end table in your bedroom, living or family room, or other area in your house. This will accommodate numerous yards of fabric, plus adding an attractive, inexpensive piece(s) of furniture to your home.

These tips may help all of us with fabric storage when adding to our stash, or like me, moving fabric that is just laying around to a more secure place & out of sight. A more organized space helps us to be more relaxed and allows the creative juices to flow. Enjoy!

<< Previous    Next >>

Add Tip/Technique    Read All Tip/Techniques

6 Comments
Daisyd681 said... (10/6/13 4:33 PM) Reply
Another version of the hanger idea is to hang multiple yards from a multiple pants hanger. Not the ones with clips, the ones that just have bars going across. I came across several of these in my Grandma's closet. She even put empty paper towel rolls on to keep from getting creases in the fabric.
Sharon Colorado said... (7/6/13 8:00 AM) Reply
You are a try fabraholic! Thanks for these tips!
SandiMacD said... (6/21/13 6:26 AM) Reply
I also thought of lucy show and laughed my socks off! Too funny. But then I have 2 plastic stacked bins on either side of my guest bed that are covered with a large fabric. I put servings trays on top and they are used as nightstands!
Teeavilnor said... (6/17/13 8:16 AM) Reply
This reminds me of an episode of the I Love Lucy Show. Love it.
Adaire said... (6/16/13 11:20 AM) Reply
I laughed so hard over this! Good ideas but I think I have to draw the line at under the mattress and sofa cushions. May have inspired me to clean out my stash before it comes to this.
AtiyaAfi said... (6/16/13 1:57 AM) Reply
This is an excellent idea for someone who lives in limited space like a studio apartment and who sews.

SewBaby Clutter Catchers Pattern

SewBaby Clutter Catchers Pattern

Sewing Workshop Quincy Top and Pants

Sewing Workshop Quincy Top and Pants

Copyright © 2015 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.