Tips & Techniques > Tissue paper for sewing leather

Reviews: 19 (tips: 2)
Skill level:Expert/Couture
Posted on: 7/29/13 10:51 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people   Very Helpful by 2 people
I made a faux leather (i.e., stretch vinyl from spandexhouse) top for a client. Sewing the fabric was actually quite easy - with right sides together. However, hemming or top-stitching - horrible. Fabric would not feed through at all! Thanks to PR, I knew there was something out there called a teflon foot. However, I'm not purchasing something for just one project. Also thanks to PR, I had read about using tissue paper as a stabilizer for chiffon-like fabrics. So I decided to try it. I found that using tissue paper pinned to both sides (i.e., top and bottom - against feed dogs and against needle) did the trick. No sticking or dragging. Now I'm just going to be sitting in front of the TV pulling out those paper bits with tweezers - argh.

<< Previous    Next >>

Add Tip/Technique    Read All Tip/Techniques

Tyssaklera said... (7/30/13 11:27 AM) Reply
A friend of mine uses freezer paper or parchment paper. Not sure whether or not it's easier to pick out than tissue, but I would think it is.
SandiMacD said... (7/30/13 5:46 AM) Reply
I purchased the vinyl foot but found it still requires tissue paper against the feed dogs.
SewLibra said... (7/30/13 0:25 AM) Reply
Yes, tissue paper comes in handy! I recently sewed some vinyl for a friend and did the same thing. I plan to purchase a Teflon or roller foot next time it's convenient though, just in case.

Petite Plus Patterns Swing Coat

Petite Plus Patterns Swing Coat

Beginner Sewing Lab 101 - A downloadable Book by Shannon Gifford

Beginner Sewing Lab 101  - A downloadable Book by Shannon Gifford

Copyright © 2015® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.