Online Sewing Class: Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Reviews: 164 (tips: 15)
Posted on: 8/8/13 4:20 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people   Very Helpful by 12 people
Web site/URL: photo
I buy lots of thread. Lots. Unless I already have a matching color for the garment, I order three spools of thread from Wawak so thread accumulates quickly in my sewing room. I use these spools on the serger. A few years ago, I used ArtBins to assemble a thread cabinet, but the thread tails became a tangled mess in the bins. I bought Hugo's Amazing Tape to wrap around the spools and tame the thread tails. I cut five inch lengths of tape and wrap it tightly around the spool. The tape sticks to itself without adhesive, so no adhesive transfers to the thread. It's available in 1/2" or 2" widths. I wasn't able to find the tape in any brick and mortar store, but it can be ordered from Amazon or Createforless.com

I wanted to put under Notions Review, but the manufacturer was a required field in a drop down menu and Hugo's was not an option.

Create For Less

<< Previous    Next >>

Add Tip/Technique    Read All Tip/Techniques

4 Comments
SandiMacD said... (8/25/13 8:48 AM) Reply
I had this on my wish list for months and finally bought it- for just this reason. I had read about it on PR last year. Was excited to try it out but it just didn't "do" it for me. I deal with arthritis and glaucoma so perhaps thst is one reason. I just find it awkward to search for and capture the thread tail with the tape wrap in a dmall atea. And then what to do with the prices while using the thread- it is clear and clings to everything so I can't find it to re use. I went back to the 2 sided artbox which has room for my thread spool and 2 bobbins in each slot. I just clip strays with scissors to tidy it. For classes, I run pipe cleaners through the thread spool center and whatever matched bobbin sizes I need and pop them into a snack bag. But I am glad Hugos tape works for others and this is a nice tip because a lot of people do use it to manage their thread spools. I have found another use. I ran a permanent marker down one edge and use it on my machine bed to provide a seam guide!
TGWGWS said... (8/11/13 11:52 PM) Reply
Thanks for the great tip!
Lalena said... (8/9/13 4:04 PM) Reply
Thank you for taking the time to add this Tip! I have never heard of this, but can imagine how useful it would be, so I just ordered a roll.
NonieA1 said... (8/9/13 6:05 AM) Reply
I have use this tape for the past 3 years, purchased at my favorite Sew & Vac in Jensen Beach, FL. It is amazing. I use it on my threads, my pin box which tends to open, and holding my small bundles of fabric. I really love it. It is on sale now at Superior threads.

More Knits
More Knits

SewBaby Fleece-Easy Baby Wardrobe Pattern

SewBaby Fleece-Easy Baby Wardrobe Pattern

Petite Plus D202 DVD

Petite Plus D202 DVD

Copyright © 2015 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.