Fashion Fabrics Club

Posted on: 8/14/13 9:21 PM
Rating: starstarstar
Web site/URL: More Knits
Dates
This class started August 2, 2013 and officially ends August 14, 2013.

I'm not sure how frequently this class is offered, but it was paired with Understanding Knit Fabrics. I was happy I took the two classes back-to-back.

I mainly took More Knits so that I could learn the proper way to sew FOE and also how to sew fabrics with sequins.

Format and components of the class
This is a PR scheduled class.

The PDF lessons were posted by the instructor all on the first day of class. The PDFs are available forever.

Like I said in my review of Understanding Knit Fabrics (UKF), I wish the PDF lessons were also available for purchase as a paper copy (see my review of UKF for why).

All of the videos were posted starting on the first day of the class, and are also available forever. I like how the videos are short snippets and not long chunks of video. The video is not as professional looking or crisp as Craftsy, but the content was great.

There were also two scheduled chats with the instructor, each an hour long, one on the 4th day of the class and one three nights later. So both chats were in the same week. I wish the chats had been spaced out so that there was one a week. Only 2 other students (happened to be the same two as UKF) and the instructor were in the chats, but they were a lot of fun!! It is a great chance to interact with other students and the instructor and ask any questions. We bounced ideas off each other and learned from each other. It was especially fun to discuss the tank top.

There is a message board for the class, that opens when you register for the class, and closes a week after class ends. Like the chats, this is another great opportunity to ask any questions and learn from each other. You can also post pictures in the picture gallery for the class and then include them in the message boards. The content of the message board for the session is available forever.

Sarah answered questions very quickly and thoroughly. All of the info in the PDFs and videos were clear and easy to understand.

Cost
The class plus the kit was $95. Approx half of that fee was for the kit, which is mandatory for the class. The kit contains samples of 28 knit fabrics that were not covered in UKF, a half scale tank top pattern, and the fabric for making the tank. The kit is well worth it (see below).

Overall impressions
Like I mentioned in UKF, for me to get the most out of the class, I had to give up something (my usual sewing and in one case the gym) in order to read the PDFs, watch the videos, practice the techniques and make the tank.

The bulk of the lessons centered on the swatches of fabric in the kit, and contained a TON of information, including fiber content, properties of the knit, needle type and size that should be used to sew the knit, how to ID the front and back of the knit, how to preshrink the knit, how to launder the knit. Really impressively good information there, and really fun to play with the swatches and get used to them.

There was also information on how to sew fabrics with holes/spaces (intentional ones!), how to sew fold over elastic (FOE), and how to apply different trims. There was also a lesson on trends in knit fabrics.

As I took this back-to-back with UKF, and I had not managed my time well with UKF, it meant I was cramming in making the half-scale tank (which is an opportunity to practice sewing with FOE) the night before the last chat. If the chats had been one per week, I would have sewn the half scale tank the weekend in between. If I had managed my time better with UKF, I would have made the tank the weekend in between the start of class and the first chat.

I know the above may make it sound like I don't like scheduled classes but I actually do like them--because it forces me to get my act together and learn the material in the specified amount of time.

I highly recommend this class. It is a bit pricey (especially compared to Craftsy classes when they're on sale) but the kit and the knowledge I learned, plus the instructor interaction (chats, boards) justifies it for me.

And again I want to say it is really, really fun to play with 28 knit swatches. I totally want stretch lace and lurex now!

Pictures

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Eureka Top & Skirt

Sewing Workshop Eureka Top & Skirt

Buy Now

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.