Tips & Techniques > Unpick a cover stitch

Reviews: 129 (tips: 7)
Posted on: 1/3/14 10:53 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people   Very Helpful by 18 people
Web site/URL: photo
Unpicking a cover stitch use to be a maddening process for me. I would learn to live with a wonky hem or sew a second row because I was so time consuming and difficult to rip out. I experimental for a while and found this method.

You need to start on the underside of where you ended up stitching. The photo shows you where you need to put your seam ripper and cut the 3 threads. Then the whole darn thing unravels. You can see more pics and a video of me doing it here

<< Previous    Next >>

Add Tip/Technique    Read All Tip/Techniques

sewrose said... (1/11/14 3:20 PM) Reply
Genius. I have to do this more often than I care to, and now I know a better way to do it!
Sewandwrite said... (1/5/14 5:58 PM) Reply
This is a terrific. Thanks for making the excellent, short videos! I'll use these techniques.
NhiHuynh said... (1/5/14 2:33 AM) Reply
Thanks everyone. I didn't realize this would be so helpful. I almost didn't post this tip here.
Oh2Sew2 said... (1/4/14 11:14 PM) Reply
Just got a coverstitch machine, I'll have to give your technique a go! Thank you :-)
elsmom said... (1/4/14 6:34 PM) Reply
Thanks so much for the helpful tips...I've seen other ways of doing it, but your videos were well done!
joann said... (1/4/14 3:34 PM) Reply
This is fabulous and better than any other ideas I've seen.
joann said... (1/4/14 3:34 PM) Reply
This is fabulous and better than any other ideas I've seen.
Patti B said... (1/4/14 2:09 PM) Reply
Brilliant! Thanks for sharing.
VivianZ said... (1/4/14 9:59 AM) Reply
Wow is right. Thanks so so much!
Adaire said... (1/4/14 9:14 AM) Reply
Thanks so much for "unraveling" the mystery of this dreadful chore and for sharing it with us.
ASiverson said... (1/4/14 9:08 AM) Reply
It is super helpful, especially with the link you've provided. Thank you so very, very much!
NVK said... (1/4/14 8:24 AM) Reply
Thank you for the videos, they are very helpful. I like the pull and gather method of removing the stitches.
BMoyer said... (1/4/14 4:19 AM) Reply
all the videos are really helpful thanks a bunch for posting them!
minasmom said... (1/4/14 2:57 AM) Reply
Really appreciate this...thanks so much!
wendyrb said... (1/4/14 0:48 AM) Reply
Thanks for doing the detective work on ripping the coverstitch. That's a new one on me and I'll definitely be using it. Unless I become a perfect person soon!
SewLibra said... (1/3/14 11:50 PM) Reply
Wow, this is so helpful! I never thought to use anything other than a seam ripper, and I dread unpicking a serger seam. Thank you so much.
Understanding Interfacings
Understanding Interfacings

All About Linings
All About Linings

Summer Tote Paper Pattern

Summer Tote Paper Pattern

Favorite Things Nightie Night Pattern

Favorite Things Nightie Night Pattern

Copyright © 2015® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.