Fashion Fabrics Club

Reviews: 67 (tips: 14)
Posted on: 1/4/14 0:05 AM
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people   Very Helpful by 11 people
Web site/URL: photo
For nine years I threaded my Janome Harmony serger from right to left, as per instructions. Last summer I purchased a Brother 1034D serger, and the instructions said to thread the upper looper first, then the lower looper, then the right and left needles. That means you should thread number 3 first, then 4, then 2, and then 1. I did that a few times and found it frustrating because the upper looper being already threaded was in the way. After that, I started threading the 1034D from right to left, just like the Janome. It works fine, first time and every time for six months now. Really, as long as the 1034D is threaded correctly, it doesn't know the order in which you threaded it!

Of course I cannot recommend this for all sergers, but if you think it's easier this way, like I do, then I don't think it will ruin your serger to just try it. If all else fails, follow the instructions - lol. :-)

<< Previous    Next >>

Add Tip/Technique    Read All Tip/Techniques

7 Comments
CSK1948 said... (10/23/15 2:58 PM) Reply
I seldom have to re-thread my serger, once I have done it 'in the correct order.' I simply snip the threads off close to the cones and tie on the end of the new cone to the corresponding previous thread. I use an overhand knot for the loopers and a square knot for the needles. The square knot will pass through the eyes of the needles if tight. Be sure the knots are snug or they will pull apart. Loosen the tension on all discs and gently pull the threads until the new threads are completely through. Adjust the tension discs before sewing. I find that the same tension settings work on most all my projects, so I just wrote the numbers on my machine so I would know where to set the tensions.
Alice said... (2/11/14 10:20 PM) Reply
I have that serger and I LOVE it, it's so easy to thread. I previously had a serger made by Bernette and it was a pain, spent more time threading it than sewing. Who said a inexpensive serger is nothing but junk?? I paid just under $200 brand new and it is a breeze to use and has never failed me. I'll use your tip next time I sew and I appreciate your tip.
rtwgirl said... (1/25/14 8:03 AM) Reply
My Brother must be finicky - it won't serge if I do that; I know, I have done it (mistakenly) several times!
pakrk said... (1/10/14 2:46 PM) Reply
Thanks for the tip! I always wondered why the distinct order - I always did it but could never see why! :)
Pj3g said... (1/5/14 2:20 PM) Reply
No, it's good you wrote this tip so others can see it!!! My tip is old. I even asked at a dealer's once (when customers were in the store) why serger manuals always say machines must be threaded in a certain order when in fact it doesn't matter. They immediately ssshhhh'd me and quietly said many people thread it wrong if they don't follow a specific order. So as you said, if it's threaded correctly, the order of the threading doesn't matter at all!!!
SewLibra said... (1/5/14 12:58 PM) Reply
Thanks for the support Pj3g. I didn't see your tip, or I wouldn't have posted this! But it gets to me when something goes wrong with someone's serger and people suggest it's all because they may have threaded in the wrong order. They may have threaded it wrong....but not in the "wrong order".
Pj3g said... (1/5/14 9:20 AM) Reply
So glad you wrote this tip! You're right, threading order doesn't matter. I've written about this on the message boards and even wrote this tip about it being not necessary to rethread everything, but some people insist you must or you will wreck your serger. You won't. All that matters is that the threads are laying how they should be coming out by the presser foot.

Islander Sewing Systems The Ultimate Kinsale Cloak Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems The Ultimate Kinsale Cloak Pattern

Christine Jonson Keyhole Top & Pants for Wovens

Christine Jonson Keyhole Top & Pants for Wovens

Copyright © 2016 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.