Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review

Advanced Search
returns & refunds
testimonials
Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets (Online Sewing Class)

A PatternReview.com Class
classes reviewed: 3
Posted on: 1/10/14 11:57 AM
Rating: starstarstar
Web site/URL: Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
This is a great class for those who are inexperienced in making jackets, as well as more seasoned stitchers. Sarah is very clear in all of the instructions, and covers most everything.

Here is a list of what is covered:

Selecting Fabric and Lining
Adjusting pattern for back pleat in lining
Cutting the fabric and choosing interfacing
Initial Construction
Seam Finishes for unlined jackets
Setting in Sleeve
Applying sleeve head
Choosing and applying the shoulder pad
Covering shoulder pads for unlined jackets
Collar design and construction - 2 parts
Making a hanging loop
Cutting, Sewing and applying the lining - 2 parts
Sewing the hem
Preparing the hem
Sewing the jump hem
Pressing and Finishing touches

As you can tell, it's quite comprehensive. But, don't expect tailoring techniques such as pad stitching here. She is combining older techniques with newer here, and I think she acheived a good balance.

Sarah rarely bags a lining, so that is not addressed. I prefer to hand hem my lining to the jacket as well, but would have like to see a demonstration of bagging, as it can be confusing. The segment showing how she stitches the hems, and the jump hem of the lining to the garment was very clear.

Seeing how she sews in the shoulder pad was a good lesson for me, and caused me to add them to my jacket. She did mention that she sells shoulder pads on her website. They do look like great pads.

I really liked her method for the back pleat in the lining. Very cool!
She explains how she chooses her interfacing, and has some recommendations.

My favorite part was the lesson on covering shoulder pads for unlined jackets. I never would have thought to do this.

The classes on the collar design and construction I will likely reference again, as I really liked her collar.

She goes into detail about adding a fold back cuff, which was very informative. Great idea on how to change the pattern, giving it a different look.

Adding a hanging loop is very useful, and usually not included in a jacket class so I appreciated that.

The segments on preparing and sewing the hem appear to be backwards so just be aware if you are following along with the video. Watch Preparing the Hem first. I loved seeing close up how she does this. Made life so much easier for me when doing mine.

The only segment I could say I was a bit disappointed in, was the one on sewing in the sleeve. Sara uses a boucle which is hard to see. However, her segment on setting in sleeves from another class is a FREE video in the class section here on PR, so do watch that - it's very good!

Overall, I was very pleased with the class. You will learn some cool new ways of doing things that make sewing the jacket easier. I learned that applying even a very light shoulder pad, and taking the time to add the sleeve head really can make a difference in the outcome.

Gwyn Hug
Patterns That Fit

<< Previous Next >>

Add Sewing Class Review    Read All Sewing Class Reviews

ASiverson said...
Terrific review. Thank you so very much for posting!
1/11/14 12:07 PM
jlg said...
Thanks for the review!
1/11/14 5:07 PM
AdaH said...
I have been thinking of taking this class and your review helped me decide. Thanks
4/5/14 11:53 PM

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us