Online Sewing Class: Leather 101

A PatternReview.com Class
Posted by: SouthernStitch

About SouthernStitch starstarstar
United States
Reviews: 132 (classes: 3)
Posted on: 1/10/14 11:57 AM
Rating: starstarstar
Web site/URL: Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
This is a great class for those who are inexperienced in making jackets, as well as more seasoned stitchers. Sarah is very clear in all of the instructions, and covers most everything.

Here is a list of what is covered:

Selecting Fabric and Lining
Adjusting pattern for back pleat in lining
Cutting the fabric and choosing interfacing
Initial Construction
Seam Finishes for unlined jackets
Setting in Sleeve
Applying sleeve head
Choosing and applying the shoulder pad
Covering shoulder pads for unlined jackets
Collar design and construction - 2 parts
Making a hanging loop
Cutting, Sewing and applying the lining - 2 parts
Sewing the hem
Preparing the hem
Sewing the jump hem
Pressing and Finishing touches

As you can tell, it's quite comprehensive. But, don't expect tailoring techniques such as pad stitching here. She is combining older techniques with newer here, and I think she acheived a good balance.

Sarah rarely bags a lining, so that is not addressed. I prefer to hand hem my lining to the jacket as well, but would have like to see a demonstration of bagging, as it can be confusing. The segment showing how she stitches the hems, and the jump hem of the lining to the garment was very clear.

Seeing how she sews in the shoulder pad was a good lesson for me, and caused me to add them to my jacket. She did mention that she sells shoulder pads on her website. They do look like great pads.

I really liked her method for the back pleat in the lining. Very cool!
She explains how she chooses her interfacing, and has some recommendations.

My favorite part was the lesson on covering shoulder pads for unlined jackets. I never would have thought to do this.

The classes on the collar design and construction I will likely reference again, as I really liked her collar.

She goes into detail about adding a fold back cuff, which was very informative. Great idea on how to change the pattern, giving it a different look.

Adding a hanging loop is very useful, and usually not included in a jacket class so I appreciated that.

The segments on preparing and sewing the hem appear to be backwards so just be aware if you are following along with the video. Watch Preparing the Hem first. I loved seeing close up how she does this. Made life so much easier for me when doing mine.

The only segment I could say I was a bit disappointed in, was the one on sewing in the sleeve. Sara uses a boucle which is hard to see. However, her segment on setting in sleeves from another class is a FREE video in the class section here on PR, so do watch that - it's very good!

Overall, I was very pleased with the class. You will learn some cool new ways of doing things that make sewing the jacket easier. I learned that applying even a very light shoulder pad, and taking the time to add the sleeve head really can make a difference in the outcome.

<< Previous    Next >>

Add Sewing Class Review    Read All Sewing Class Reviews

3 Comments
AdaH said... (4/5/14 11:53 PM) Reply
I have been thinking of taking this class and your review helped me decide. Thanks
jlg said... (1/11/14 5:07 PM) Reply
Thanks for the review!
ASiverson said... (1/11/14 12:07 PM) Reply
Terrific review. Thank you so very much for posting!

You Sew Girl Beauty Case Pattern

You Sew Girl Beauty Case Pattern

DVD - Will this fabric work for you?

DVD - Will this fabric work for you?

Copyright © 2015 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.