PatternReview.com

expos reviewed: 2
Posted on: 3/5/14 10:26 AM
Rating: starstar
Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people   Very Helpful by 5 people
This was the first sewing expo event I have ever attended. A friend and I went for 4 days as we drove quite a distance to attend. We both attended a number of classes and they certainly did vary in quality.
I think I may have been a bit naive and had fairly high expectations of the classes. Many of the instructors have products they are there to sell. Of course, it's an expo, I guess I just didn't realize how that might effect classes. I took 3 fitting classes, of the 3 I took, my favorite was Lorraine Henry's sloper savvy clas as she did not have a so called fitting program or patterns to sell. She did reference the book Fitting and Pattern Alteration and another pattern book Pattern Making for Fashion Design. Both of these books are textbooks used by students in fashion industry. Lorraine's class was just long enough for me to really get excited about making a sloper. Her class really should have been much much longer. I attended Connie Crawford's armhole and sleeve class. This class was disappointing as so much of the focus was on the full bust, in fact this issue was the focal point of many classes. I absolutely do not have a full bust and was frankly getting tired of hearing about it :) I felt as a speaker she was just so so, I do not doubt her abilities at all, it's just I wasn't about to purchase her what look to me as very out of date patterns and I am just not her target market,which I guess is the mature figure. Went to a beginner's tissue fitting class by Pati Palmer, she had some good tips about order of tissue fitting and she is a very good speaker. But again, class just too short, just long enough to pique one's interest. I went to a class by Louise Cutting and I cannot even remember what it was about. She also has a certain target demographic of which I do not belong to and more about the full bust.
I went to a leather class by Peggy Sager and it was good. It was only 45 minutes but she told me everything I need to know to sew a leather project. She also had some lovely items she had made. She also has a pattern line but she did not at any point try to push her products other than to give a pattern number. She did not repeatedly push them like so many of the other presenters did.
I listened to a presentation on how to fit a dress form and that certainly has given me food for thought. I will mull it over this year and I may next year go back and order a form from Fashion Forms. They fit you and tell you what changes you will have to make. The dress forms seem very nice.
My friend had the misfortune of taking a basic serging class. Turns out that class was really more about pushing the combo baby lock serging and coverstitch machine. They did not have enough equipment for all of the attendees and they didn't get go over all the skills that were supposed to have been covered due to the shortage. The class cost $55 and all they ended up doing was sewing knit cuffs and using the binding attachment.
For the quilters, Tula Pink was one of the keynote speakers. I went to a very interesting talk on the ins and outs of fabric design from a quilter's perspective. She was a great speaker and even though I don't call myself a quilter her presentation was one of my favs.
The Tilton sisters fashion show was fun,even though their style is not entirely my own. I still appreciate it. I am a huge fan of Marcy Tiltons online store.
So lastly, that leaves the shopping! I live in an area with extremely limited brick and mortar fabric stores so I was really looking forward to seeing what would be available. My absolute favorite vendor was Marcy Tilton's. I visited her booth many times. There was also an interesting booth with japanese fabrics and I bought a couple pieces there. Of course, all the sewing machine brands were well represented. There were some interesting notions booths, and then tons of quilting and embroidery booths. I did feel the expo was tilted towards the quilting side at least from the vendor standpoint.
Overall, it was a fun trip. I am very glad I went. I will just say, that for many of the clothing pattern vendors and some of the classes I just am not the target demographic. I am 49, soon to be 50 so I wouldn't say it was an age thing. The classes are definitely hit or miss. I will likely go again though.They do have a comments box at the expo and I did leave my feedback.

<< Previous    Next >>

Add Sewing Expo Review    Read All Sewing Expo Reviews

You Sew Girl Carry All Pattern

You Sew Girl Carry All Pattern

More Info
Shapes Four Good Measure Pattern (Size 1-3)

Shapes Four Good Measure Pattern (Size 1-3)

More Info

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.