Online Sewing Class: More Knits

Reviews: 42 (expos: 1)
Posted on: 3/6/14 7:29 PM
Rating: star
Review Rating: Helpful by 4 people   Very Helpful by 4 people
I go every year to this, and each year I want more out of it and I get less. I just have to remember: it's a trade show. It's for selling things. It's not for connecting with designers or even friends who have a booth because they have no time for Not Selling (I've filled in for friends and it's nothing personal, it's just exhausting being 'on' all the time and it's four days long). Most of the trade is for quilting and sewing machine sales, with some for speciality sales (tools, fabric, patterns). And if you are just buying, Sunday is the day to go, as things go on sale (this was mentioned to me on Thursday morning just as the doors opened). If you want to meet up with like-minded sewists there, you'd better line that up before you go.

If you are a pattern company, take a page from Saf-T Pockets and The Sewing Workshop and bring SAMPLES. Lots and lots of them and put those racks in the front where people walk by them. People will buy more (god knows I do) if they can see how the stuff goes together, and what better sales tool than the finished item?

I did get to see Laura Nash of Sew Chic in person, and Treasures of the Gypsy (no online sales, just in person at trade shows) took a lot of my money home for more laser cut bird fabric. Beyond that, I left early. I did get a scone.

If you are from SewExpo and are reading this, I repeat my comment from the comments box there: organize the classes by topic, not by difficulty or length. Vary the times of day they repeat. Add some about beginning sewing issues and make them FREE. Spread the love! Put the schedule online, not just on a PDF. Every year I miss classes I would have loved that I was there for because I could not find them in the catalog.

Next year, I'll just meet up with the Gypsy in the parking lot.

<< Previous    Next >>

Boho Banjo art to wear

pdf sewing patterns

Add Sewing Expo Review    Read All Sewing Expo Reviews

1 Comments
sewme47 said... (3/7/14 4:31 PM) Reply
These comments could be said about all the major sewing/quilting shows around the US. I've quit going to most of the workshops at these shows because I always go away disappointed.

Sewing Facings and Developing Facing Patterns
Sewing Facings and Developing Facing Patterns

Fun with Fitting - SKIRTS
Fun with Fitting - SKIRTS

Maggie Paper Pattern

Maggie Paper Pattern

Petite Plus D202 DVD

Petite Plus D202 DVD

Copyright © 2015 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.