Expo Reviews > Sew Expo Puyallup 2014

Reviews: 9 (expos: 1)
Posted on: 3/26/14 1:08 PM
Rating: starstarstar
Web site/URL: photo
This is the 2nd year I've attended the SewExpo in Puyallup. Both years I've taken a ton of classes, and enjoyed just about all of them. I shop a little, but my main reason for travelling from California to Washington is for the classes.
The Expo is put on by Washington State University, and the classes are very reasonably priced ($5 to $50). Thus far, I haven't taken any 4 needle classes, but have taken some 2 and 3 needle classes, and many 1 needle classes.
I have walked away with a lot of knowledge from the teachers. I can't believe how much a teacher can fit in for a 45 minute class. I definitely see the difference, though, between seasoned teachers and new teachers. Those that are seasoned tend to have great samples, talk pretty fast, and have handouts to go along with what they're talking about. None seem to mind photos, so using my phone for taking pictures of the samples helps a lot.
Obviously, they all have something they want to sell, but as long as you go in thinking, "I don't need to buy everything I want," but make mature decisions, all is well. There are great buys, and there are expensive (and sometimes very gorgeous) buys. You do see things here that you might not see locally.
Although some is geared towards quilters (which I am), much is geared towards clothing. I go for the clothing, as I find it much easier to find quilting classes locally (Northern California) than clothing.
My favorite classes have included serger techniques, tailoring, fitting, and slip covers.
Great fun, great learning experience, and yes, I did go home with $200-$300 in purchases (I'm sure many spend much more).

<< Previous    Next >>

Add Sewing Expo Review    Read All Sewing Expo Reviews

Mufffet said... (3/26/14 3:42 PM) Reply
As to purchasing, that is one of the reasons we go to shows. I always know that once a year I am going to spend at the VT Quilt Festival. Why not? It's once a year. Your time at the Show sounds really good. I think those classes are more than reasonably priced - I have always paid more here. Thank you for a really nice vicarious visit to a great show! :)

Maggie Paper Pattern

Maggie Paper Pattern

Favorite Things Ballet Slippers Pattern

Favorite Things Ballet Slippers Pattern

Copyright © 2015® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.