Tips & Techniques > Flat metal washers/pattern weights

Skill level:Beginner
Posted on: 5/6/14 10:32 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 4 people   Very Helpful by 12 people
Web site/URL: photo
I purchased flat metal washers at Debbie Supply Shop and use them for pattern weights. I think they work especially well for PDF patterns that you print at home. It releases the stress of pinning. I purchased a box of 20, size 1-1/4 for under $18. Prices vary, but I think it is more cost effective than if you purchase the pretty pattern weights at craft and sewing stores. Of course, you can always use a can of creamed corn.

<< Previous    Next >>

Add Tip/Technique    Read All Tip/Techniques

sewbehind said... (8/14/14 7:38 PM) Reply
I bought my washers at TSC , the farm and more store in Canada. They are sold by the lb and come on sale frequently.
Arted said... (6/5/14 3:15 PM) Reply
I use washers and paint them with fingernail polish on one side. I like colors I have had no problems by doing this.
tlc246 said... (5/22/14 8:48 AM) Reply
helenkosings - That's great, I hope you get a lot of use out of them. JUSTMIMME - Super glue is a great idea to give more weight. I'll have to give that one a go.
JDpenelope said... (5/22/14 7:56 AM) Reply
Justmimme Thanks for that tip. I also bought washers at WalMart and will try supergluing a few together for more weight.
JUSTMIMME said... (5/22/14 0:16 AM) Reply
Hi I purchased the largest flat washers from the DYI, then to add weight, I super glued at least 6 together. Works a treat holds the pattern in place perfectly. Very inexpensive as well.
helenkosings said... (5/21/14 12:10 PM) Reply
went out and bought a box of them after reading your tip. Thanks!
Kimbra8 said... (5/18/14 3:32 PM) Reply
I got mine at a local hardware store.. I love them..
SewRaeMe said... (5/13/14 10:22 AM) Reply
My husband gave me so and they work great, I also have covered mine with bias tape.
Davina511 said... (5/9/14 12:58 PM) Reply
Try looking for some in Home Depot or Lowes, they may be cheaper.
justgail said... (5/8/14 1:53 PM) Reply
try looking for fender washers....they come in zinc plated or stainless steel
tlc246 said... (5/7/14 6:14 PM) Reply
Wow, I'm glad this helped someone. JDpenelope, sorry I did not find the exact size that I used. I wanted everyone to see the variety of washers they could use.
JDpenelope said... (5/7/14 7:02 AM) Reply
Thanks! Looking at your link, I couldn't find the exact washer that you are recommending. By the way, I used to use small cans of fruit, but, over time, some of the cans broke open (somehow) and made a mess! I've used nuts from Home Depot since then, but now I would like to try your big washers.
Sewnforever said... (5/7/14 3:09 AM) Reply
Great idea. I was just thinking last night whilst cutting out that I must buy some more weights - off to the DIY shop I go!
Sharon48 said... (5/7/14 1:24 AM) Reply
I use these, but have covered mine with scraps of fabric. They really do work great!

SewBaby The Twirly Dress Pattern

SewBaby The Twirly Dress Pattern

Sew Liberated Bohemian Carpet Bag Pattern

Sew Liberated Bohemian  Carpet Bag Pattern

Copyright © 2015® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.