Tips & Techniques > Cut Pattern Storage

Reviews: 7 (tips: 1)
Posted on: 6/18/14 9:55 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 10 people   Very Helpful by 14 people
Web site/URL: photo
I have several steps for my cut pattern storage. It might not be the easiest or the cheapest, but it works best for me.

I have a lot of patterns, and keeping track of them all was becoming a pain. There are several things I do with a new pattern:

1) I scan the front and back cover and print it out. If I need to bring along the information to, say, a fabric store, I bring this copy.

2) I iron the pattern flat, then I iron the pattern to freezer paper (butcher's paper - NOT wax paper). If I decide to make something, I trace a copy off the "master pattern".

3) I roll the pattern pieces (except the very small ones) and slip them into mailer tubes (the type with plastic caps). I buy the 3' tubes, and cut them down as needed (so I can use the extra tubes for small patterns). (3'x2" mailer tubes, 50 count with plastic caps, $45 at Amazon.)

4) I label the mailer tubes with the pattern brand, #, size and photo.

5) I store the tubes in those plastic bins made for wrapping paper (they're covered, so the patterns are further protected). $15 each at The Container Store. Eventually, I'll have one container per brand (or more as needed). I have a few patterns that are taller than the wrapping paper container. I store those in an uncovered bin. (I have pets, and I like how these keep the dog and cat hair out of my patterns!)

6) I put the original envelope, instructions, and any small pieces into a manila envelope, which I file in a file box. Here I can add any information such as if I've made it, what size, for whom, what fabric, etc.

It all may seem a bit overkill, but it's what is working best for me. :)

<< Previous    Next >>

Add Tip/Technique    Read All Tip/Techniques

almost said... (6/24/14 9:47 PM) Reply
Your method looks really great. But I was amazed that you can iron a pattern onto freezer paper?? Does it permanently bond to the freezer paper? Does the freezer paper produce sticky goo that ends up on the bottom of your iron??
Barbara3 said... (6/21/14 11:06 AM) Reply
Terrific system! Now you've got me thinking.
Gilberta said... (6/20/14 12:32 PM) Reply
Very nice idea--I'm always looking for a better method! Thanks~
mamacita said... (6/19/14 2:41 PM) Reply
A great idea! I have "cut" patterns floating all around my sewing room. I have to get some mailer tubes. thanks
persevering said... (6/19/14 9:01 AM) Reply
Thanks for sharing ... great idea!
petro said... (6/19/14 1:13 AM) Reply
Impressive organisation!Thanks for sharing.

Christine Jonson Cross Your Heart Top & V-Neck Tee

Christine Jonson Cross Your Heart Top & V-Neck Tee

Sew Liberated Gathering apron Pattern

Copyright © 2015® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.