Tips & Techniques > Gathering options

About Nancywin starstarstarstar
Member since: 7/25/06
Reviews: 285 (tips: 20)
Posted on: 6/28/14 4:54 PM
Gathering is used in a lot of garments, but it can definitely be a pain to do. There are a few things you can do to make it easier.
1. using a wide zigzag stitch over a long piece of buttonhole thread makes for quick and easy gathers.
2. The typical way of gathering, running two rows of long stitches next to each other is a little more time consuming, but gives more even gathers. This is the method I use most often.
3. Running three rows of long stitches and then pulling up the gathers will give the most uniform gathers. I use this method if I am using fine or sheer fabric, or just want to take the extra time to make it perfect.

On method 2 or 3, the thing I do that really helps is to use a different colored bobbin thread. This really helps to make sure you are pulling on the correct threads. The last dress I made had gathering at the shoulders and waist, and I had to redo the shoulders. I am glad I used the different colored thread because it helped me to rip out the correct stitches!

<< Previous    Next >>

Add Tip/Technique    Read All Tip/Techniques

3 Comments
Laurie Lou said... (7/16/14 4:48 PM) Reply
Thanks for sharing! Good tip for beginners too.
AtiyaAfi said... (6/30/14 2:24 PM) Reply
I like the different colored bobbin thread idea. Why didn't I think of that! :)
petro said... (6/29/14 3:36 AM) Reply
Good tips, especially the coloured threads idea! I find it helps to keep gathers even if you mark the length to be gathered into for example 8 sections and the same for the piece it is to be gathered to, then pin the marks together before pulling up the gathers.

Favorite Things A Billfold Pattern

Favorite Things A Billfold Pattern

SewBaby Fleece-Easy Baby Wardrobe Pattern

SewBaby Fleece-Easy Baby Wardrobe Pattern

Copyright © 2015 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.