Online Sewing Class: Put it on the Bias

About Nancywin starstarstarstar
Member since: 7/25/06
Reviews: 303 (tips: 20)
Posted on: 6/28/14 4:54 PM
Gathering is used in a lot of garments, but it can definitely be a pain to do. There are a few things you can do to make it easier.
1. using a wide zigzag stitch over a long piece of buttonhole thread makes for quick and easy gathers.
2. The typical way of gathering, running two rows of long stitches next to each other is a little more time consuming, but gives more even gathers. This is the method I use most often.
3. Running three rows of long stitches and then pulling up the gathers will give the most uniform gathers. I use this method if I am using fine or sheer fabric, or just want to take the extra time to make it perfect.

On method 2 or 3, the thing I do that really helps is to use a different colored bobbin thread. This really helps to make sure you are pulling on the correct threads. The last dress I made had gathering at the shoulders and waist, and I had to redo the shoulders. I am glad I used the different colored thread because it helped me to rip out the correct stitches!

<< Previous    Next >>

Add Tip/Technique    Read All Tip/Techniques

3 Comments
Laurie Lou said... (7/16/14 4:48 PM) Reply
Thanks for sharing! Good tip for beginners too.
AtiyaAfi said... (6/30/14 2:24 PM) Reply
I like the different colored bobbin thread idea. Why didn't I think of that! :)
petro said... (6/29/14 3:36 AM) Reply
Good tips, especially the coloured threads idea! I find it helps to keep gathers even if you mark the length to be gathered into for example 8 sections and the same for the piece it is to be gathered to, then pin the marks together before pulling up the gathers.

Fit For Art Sporty Details Expansion Pattern

Fit For Art Sporty Details Expansion Pattern

Copyright © 2016 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.