Tips & Techniques > Easy and Inexpensive Tube Turners

Member since: 4/9/03
Reviews: 74 (tips: 1)
Posted on: 5/4/04 10:40 PM
Web site/URL: photo
Go to the local hardware store, and get some light copper piping, have them cut it to a workable size, mine is 9 inches. My local True Value did this for free.

Then find small dowels that fit inside. Found mine at WalMart for 44 cents a piece.

Then you sew the tube (one side should be sewn closed), slide the piping inside, and poke it through the end with the dowel.

Whole set up cost me under 5$ for 3 different sizes.

Lets say I have a purse handle that I want to turn :

I sew the handle into a tube making sure one edge is sewn shut. Step 1

Then I insert the copper tubing into the fabric tube all the way in, until it is up against the sewn edge. Step 2

Then I sometimes shimmy the rest of the fabric up, so I can get a good hold of the copper tube. Step 3

Then I used the dowel and push against the fabric, forcing it with the dowel into the tube and out the other end. Step 4
Step 5

Then I just grab it and pull it all the way through the tube.
Step 6

Its now the right side out !!

I took some pictures of the process. I am actually using a crochet hook in these because the minute I took the dowels out (which are a tad longer then the needle) they were stolen buy a pack of kitties...

<< Previous    Next >>

Add Tip/Technique    Read All Tip/Techniques

8 Comments
madsewer45 said... (7/23/11 11:50 AM) Reply
This is a great idea. I am going to Lowe's to try it out. Thank you.
Helen near Sydney said... (10/22/06 2:50 AM) Reply
Fabulous idea, thanks.
loriwxly said... (10/3/04 3:29 PM) Reply
I have been wanting one of those Fast tubes, but haven't wanted to spend the money! THanks so much for your directions. I will be sure to make my own now!
ShereeSews said... (6/29/04 4:32 PM) Reply
Do you file the copper edge so it isnt sharp? Will metal edge cut fabric?
Mary Beth Loup said... (5/7/04 10:24 AM) Reply
Sounds great and workable, too. Just wish it had been posted before I bought the tube turning set (sigh) At least I got them at a discount!
Doreene said... (5/6/04 11:00 AM) Reply
Thanks for the great tip, Gina. I mentioned it to my DH and he has various widths of copper piping and dowels in his workshop. Says he will make some up for me.
Rebecca D said... (5/5/04 7:39 AM) Reply
Great tip, Gina. What an intriguing website you've created, I had a delightful time wandering around in it and found your fabric shopping tips very useful..
SewVeryTall said... (5/5/04 6:57 AM) Reply
Great tip, Gina. I do this too...even a drinking straw works for skinny spagetti strap tubes.

More Knits
More Knits

Sewn Square One Paper Bag Pant Pattern

Sewn Square One Paper Bag Pant Pattern

PerfectFuse Light Black

PerfectFuse Light Black

Copyright © 2015 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.