Class Reviews > Kathryn Brenne / Claire Shaeffer

Posted on: 3/26/05 9:26 PM
Rating: starstarstar
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people   Very Helpful by 6 people
Web site/URL: photo
I took a class on Chanel style jackets last spring with Kathryn Brenne and Claire Schaeffer, at Kathryn's school in North Bay Ontario.

The class was terrific. Students prepared a muslin in advance, and were expertly fitted by Kathryn before Claire arrived. They both gave terrific instruction and assistance in sewing up the jacket. Claire gave several talks on Chanel techniques, did a slide show of numerous jackets, and brought several originals along for us to inspect. We got lots of handouts about Chanel techniques. We spent a lot of time talking about and making samples of different kinds of trim for the jackets.

Kathryn's studio is fantastic. It is very spacious, with lots of natural light. She provided pretty well everything we needed for the class except fabric and notions. There's a Fabricland in town (like Joannes) if you need to pick up basic sewing items. Her studio is equipped with Bernina sewing machines for everyone, professional irons etc. We each had a cutting area separate from our sewing station.

The jacket is a lot of work. The class was five days (I think), and I got about 3/4 of the jacket completed.

If you have a chance to take a class with Kathryn or Claire jump at it. They are both knowledge instructors. I'll be back at Kathryn's studio in May for a pants class with Cecilia Podalak.

<< Previous    Next >>

Add Sewing Class Review    Read All Sewing Class Reviews

bermd said... (9/16/10 10:13 AM) Reply
This was very helpful. Does Kathryn have a website?
dorong said... (7/7/08 3:17 PM) Reply
it was really helpful.i would be visiting the ubited states in july and would like to know what workshops i can squeeze into my 30days isit from july 25th. i love claire,i have her book and think its absolutely BRILLIANT!
ziat said... (5/7/08 8:57 PM) Reply
hi, sewinglizzie. I am new to patternreview,although not new to sewing (intermediateéadvanced level). My ears perked up at your pants class with Cecelia Podolak. Deapite making adjustments for a swayback, flattish buttocks etc, etc, i cannot seem to get pants the way I want them: falling in a straight line from curve of the buttock. Mine collapse right under the butt cheeks, making a diagonal fold before they straighten out again. Anyways, I would loved to know of aclass where I could get a pants sloper fitted by someone who knows how. many thanks, iris
zengarhealer said... (3/3/07 10:41 PM) Reply
wondeful! Can'r wait!
Janice C. said... (3/29/05 6:59 AM) Reply
It sounds wonderful. Here in the U.K. we don't get classes of such a high quality. i wonder if any of these great sewing celebrities could be persuaded to crosss the Atlantic for a few weeks?? !!!
The Technique of Underlining Garments
The Technique of Underlining Garments

All About Linings
All About Linings

SA Curve 3/8th ruler

SA Curve 3/8th ruler

Sew Liberated Aida Top Pattern

Sew Liberated Aida Top Pattern

Copyright © 2015® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.