Tips & Techniques > Crayola Washable Markers for Marking Fabric

Reviews: 9 (tips: 1)
Posted on: 6/22/05 7:00 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people   Very Helpful by 15 people
Featured in the PR book!
This is such a "duh" idea, that I'm not even sure it's worth posting, but here goes-- I use my son's Crayola washable markers for transferring pattern markings to my fabric. They come in many colors and always seem to be in abundance around my house! They are designed to be washable, and, although I have not ironed over any to check to see if this "sets" the ink, they do wash out of fabric easily with just water. I wouldn't advise using these on fabric that is not washable or is extemely valuable, just in case, but for everyday items that will be thrown in the washer, these colorful pens are just the ticket!

Edited to add: I just tested a navy blue pen today by marking a white piece of woven cotton & ironing over it with an iron set to "cotton" w/ steam & letting it cool. The mark washed out with cold water & dish soap, so it looks like these pens will not set when ironed. Score! ;0)

<< Previous    Next >>

Add Tip/Technique    Read All Tip/Techniques

Cally31 said... (10/4/14 8:08 PM) Reply
What about the regular washable glue? Will it come out if I need to temporarily set something in place to sew ( like lace etc) ?
pinewood said... (1/24/10 7:00 PM) Reply
Thank you for this great tip. I have some of these markers you have just given me the confidence to use them.
Tiner W said... (6/25/05 8:24 AM) Reply
Great idea--I'm always using her colored pencils and praying they wash out. Why didn't I think of this?
ktsews2 said... (6/24/05 8:49 PM) Reply
Thanks for a great tip...........must go shopping for the washable Crayola markers.
esmer said... (6/24/05 8:47 PM) Reply
This a wonderful tip for me because I don't have small children anymore. Thank you for post the information and testing it.
AnneM said... (6/23/05 9:26 AM) Reply
Sounds like a less expensive option than those blue pens. Thanks.
xela said... (6/23/05 7:32 AM) Reply
Thanks. What a great tip!!! I'm going to get some of these today!!!
ryan's mom said... (6/23/05 6:08 AM) Reply
I'm glad you posted this tip. I do this too--forever looking in my kids' activity box for the Crayola washables. Someone might not think about using these if they didn't have kids. I especially like these for drawing dart lines.
Astrostitcher said... (6/23/05 5:19 AM) Reply
Not duh at all - a great find ! Didn't they say necessity leads mothers to invention, or whatever? I've switched to these for patchwork after having tons of trouble getting rid of the "special quilting" blue washable markers - unless totally immersed and spun rinsed they never leave, just migrate. I did a wash test on a box of 12 Bic 'Kids' and they all washed out fine. And the price is right less than half the cost of one special marker for the whole box! Only place I'm stuck is for very dark fabrics for which I use a yellow mechanical or silver pencil.

Copyright © 2015® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.