Tips & Techniques > Buttonhole placement for jackets and blouses

Posted on: 7/5/05 6:01 PM
Last Updated: 5/10/06 9:04 PM
Web site/URL: photo
Featured in the PR book!
If you are not sure which size button you need for your blouse or jacket, or if you want to use a different size than the pattern suggest, you can use a rule of thumb.

The size of the button will depend on the overlap (distance from center front till edge) you are using on your garment.
A guide for this is when the garment is buttoned up the distance from the edge till the button should be ½ of the diameter of the button or a tiny bit less.
You can measure this on your pattern.

A horizontal placed buttonhole starts always 1/8 or 3mm away from the center front marking line towards the edge.
You can adjust/alter the pattern for the overlay and underlay to match the size of buttons you want to use.
This rule of thumb is just a guide and not a obligation.

The link for the diagram is from Burda sewing technique book.

<< Previous    Next >>

Add Tip/Technique    Read All Tip/Techniques

6 Comments
said... (8/21/08 9:52 PM) Reply
Thanks for this information. I am finishing a jacket & am at the button stage. I bought buttons larger than the pattern called for & hoped it would work as I was making the jacket from one I had seen in a high end store. Now I know that my buttons will work!
Gigi Louis said... (8/16/06 11:33 PM) Reply
I don't know how I missed this over a year ago!
els said... (5/10/06 10:31 PM) Reply
MaryBeth you are right that is the purpose for the extra 1/8.
MaryBeth said... (5/10/06 9:59 PM) Reply
So glad you've brought this to our attention, Els. I believe that the extra 1/8" is to account for the width of the button shank or thrad used to attached the button, right?
Sew_K said... (7/9/05 6:45 PM) Reply
Thanks so much for sharing this information! I've printed it to store in my sewing binder for future reference.
meanjean said... (7/6/05 2:04 PM) Reply
This is one of those little details that has perplexed me since there are often times when I want a different button size. Thanks for this "rule of thumb".

The Technique of Underlining Garments
The Technique of Underlining Garments

Islander Sewing Systems Renaissance Cape Pattern Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Renaissance Cape Pattern Pattern

You Sew Girl 90mm Barrel Purse Pattern

You Sew Girl 90mm Barrel Purse Pattern

Copyright © 2015 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.