Tips & Techniques > Serge Protector

About amadoofus
Member since: 2/8/05
Reviews: 3 (tips: 1)
Posted on: 8/30/05 2:03 PM
Undoubtably, some already have plug-in serge protectors to protect their sewing machines from a power surge, which could destroy their machine. Today I took my machine in for a tune-up, and the employee remarked that she used to have the exact machine that I have. I asked her if she sold it, and she said no; that a lightening bolt hit her house and completely destroyed her machine! She now has a power serge protector for her new machine. I don't have one; but am getting one today, that's for sure! Her machine was unrepairable, so damaged that it was, AND the insurance company gave her a hard time. Who needs that?!!

<< Previous    Next >>

Add Tip/Technique    Read All Tip/Techniques

granni said... (9/10/05 4:47 AM) Reply
Thanx Ive been putting off spending the money on a surge protector but after reading this I can see the foolishness of hesitating.
amadoofus said... (8/31/05 3:57 PM) Reply
Having trouble editing this, so let me just say, a serge protector is for power serges, and I guess if there's lightening and you want real protection, you have to unplug your machine...less work and money than the alternative...possibly getting struck and having to replace your machine!! (Like the old saw, If You Think Education Is Expensive, Try Ignorance!)
SewVeryTall said... (8/31/05 7:01 AM) Reply
Good tip, I have these on all my machines too, but they are really only going to protect you from a surge of power, not lightning. As Gigi said, you really have to unplug to be protected. Lightning can "get" to machines through the phone line or cable line too.
Cloud9 said... (8/30/05 10:26 PM) Reply
I, too, live in an area that gets terrific electrical storms. I know too well, as I have lost a copy machine and an air-conditioner during a storm. This ounce of prevention only takes a second or so. As Nike says, "Just Do It!"
Mary Stiefer said... (8/30/05 6:28 PM) Reply
I have a surge protector for my machines, as well as for my computer. Anyplace there is lightning - you best have a surge protector for those things that you love. Good tip to remind people of this important item.
amadoofus said... (8/30/05 6:16 PM) Reply
Thanks, Gigi. It seems that the only way to really protect your machine is a direct, hands-on approach!
Gigi Louis said... (8/30/05 5:49 PM) Reply
We have a lot of lightning storms here so I have surge protectors on all my machines. However, that doesn't mean they are 100% safe - learned that the hard way with a television set. I think it's a good idea to unplug your machines when you're not using them - just a little extra insurance.
Nana said... (8/30/05 5:06 PM) Reply
wow.never knew that !

Copyright © 2015® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.