Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Store Reviews > Quiltworks (Cypress, Texas)

Reviewed by: Skratchie

Fabric
Visit Website
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people   Very Helpful by 1 people
Current Tags What is a Tag:
Have you bought anything from this store? If yes were the prices competitive?

This is my LQS, so I do go in from time to time to check out what they have. I've been going there since they opened (at least in this location), and it seems to me that the prices are higher than any other LQS. I can buy quilting fabric here for $14/yd then see the exact same fabric at the store that's about 25 miles away for $12/yd.

Were the sales people polite and friendly?

It depends on the day, to be honest. Sometimes I walk in and it's like I'm their best friend. Other times, it's like they barely acknowledge me. I got into a conversation with one lady who was cutting my fabric and I mentioned that I do more "traditional" quilting than "modern." She proceeded to tell me how much she hates traditional quilting and how it all looks dated and old fashioned. It's fine for her to have an opinion, but I never would have told her that I thought modern quilting looks like people don't know what they're doing, since she had just told me that she prefers modern. I would have just said, Oh, that's not my style really, and left it at that.

How would you rate the quality of the item this store sells?

Everything is high quality; the fabrics are all first rate, quilt store quality cottons, the threads aren't cheap, linty brands.

How was your shopping experience. Is there anything you did not like about this store?

Well ... The fabric selection is sort of odd. They have TONS of batiks, which really isn't my thing, but they can be pretty. And they tend to carry a lot of modern type prints, which is fine too. Then they seem to have a lot of cutesy prints. I love a lot of fabrics, but I rarely find anything in there I just cannot live without, which is saying something, because in most shops I can find stuff I love.

Would you shop here again?

I do, because it's my local shop and I believe in supporting local businesses. But I don't spend a lot of money at one time in this store. I would never go in and buy all of the fabric I need for a quilt from this place, because like I said, most of what they carry isn't my style, and the prices are much higher than anywhere else in Houston.

Would you recommend this store to others?

With reservation. Someone would have to be looking for something pretty specific for me to recommend they visit this store. At the very least I would add a disclaimer to my recommendation.

Any other comments you would like to add?

I want to love this store, I really do. It's not too far from me and it has fabric, after all. I thought for a long time that I was just spoiled by my old LQS when I lived on the other side of town, but now I don't think that's it. When it comes to quilt stores, you either love it or you don't, I think, because the fabric is almost always a reflection of the owner's tastes. Obviously, my taste is not the same as this owner, and that's cool. But it's the weird vibe I get from the people in the shop that sort of put me off the store. It's like they make me feel like I don't really belong there ...
*LOGIN to add a comment on this review
* Only registered members can post comments to the reviews. Membership is free. if you are not a member, please Sign-up now!

1 Comments
Re Becca said...
In Cypress, huh? I live in Jersey Village and I haven't heard of this place. It might be an interesting place to stop if I need notions and really don't want the hassle of JoAnn's. I know what you mean about the weird vibe, it sounds like me and Universal Fabrics in West U. I want to love it, I just don't.
6/15/14 8:41 PM

Add a Store Review    Read All Store Reviews

Favorite Things Hushabye Baby Pattern

Favorite Things Hushabye Baby Pattern

Buy Now
SewBaby The Sleeve Saver Bib Pattern

SewBaby The Sleeve Saver Bib Pattern

Buy Now

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.