Store Reviews > Grubers Quilt Shop (Waite Park, Minnesota)

Reviewed by: SheBear0320

About SheBear0320 starstar
MB Canada
Member since: 4/8/08
stores reviewed: 14

Posted on: 6/26/14 0:56 AM
Rating: thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup
Address: 310 4th Avenue NE
Features: Patterns
Books/Videos
Notions
Fabric
Other (to be explained in the Comments)
Crafts
Visit Website
Have you bought anything from this store? If yes were the prices competitive? I have bought fabric and patterns and a kit from this quilt shop on 2 occasions -- during the Minnesota Quilt Shop Hop in 2013 and while on vacation in 2014. This is a large shop with a lot of fabric, a variety of batting and a very good selection of notions. They have a good selection of bag patterns and supplies including hardware. They also carry yarn.

Gruber's also has an on-line shopping service but I have not used it.

Were the sales people polite and friendly? The sales people are friendly and knowledgeable and willing to help if you want it but will leave you alone if you say you are just looking. They will even go above and beyond -- last year I bought a kit while I was there and they let me take some photos so I would have a reference when I started to put the fabrics together. When I got home I couldn't find the photo on my camera. I called them and one of the staff took some photos and e-mailed them to me -- very much appreciated.

How would you rate the quality of the item this store sells? The fabrics as well as the notions and other supplies are what you would expect to find in a high quality quilt shop. There is a clearance area in the back and there are good deals to be had -- I picked up a pack of 10 fat quarters for $15.00 (Simpsons prints for a quilt for one of my sons).

How was your shopping experience. Is there anything you did not like about this store? Even though both times I was in the store they were very very busy (first time was the Shop Hop and second time was the night before a local quilt show started and they were having a book signing in the store that evening -- one of the authors that writes the quilt/sewing themed books). The staff was busy and the store was full but all of the staff had a smile on their face and were more than willing to help out in any way possible.

Would you shop here again? We go to St. Cloud quite often (Waite Park is right next door) so I'm sure I will be shopping here again. They also sell rectangular ironing tables that can either be used over your ironing board or could be mounted or fitted to the top of a cabinet. When I get my studio re-done/reorganized I will likely go back to pick one up.

Would you recommend this store to others? Highly recommend. There are several other stores in the immediate area that may be of interest to sewists and quilters -- Hancocks and JoAnns, Just Sew Studio (Pfaff dealer), St. Cloud Sewing Center (Janome, Juki, Bernina and Husqvarna/Viking dealer) and the Vacuum Center and Sewing Room which I believe is a Babylock dealer. These other stores are all within a few blocks of Grubers Quilt Shop. Craft Direct is also in St. Cloud (I haven't been to this store).

Any other comments you would like to add? Gruber's Quilt Shop will be participating in the 2014 Minnesota Quilt Shop Hop which runs from August 1-17, 2014.

The shop is located in a little "strip mall" but not your typical strip mall -- the building houses Gruber's, a coffee shop, a craft/home dec store, a long arm quilter, a jewelry store and at least one or two other businesses. Conveniently located at the corner of highway 15 and 3rd Street NE.

The back of the Gruber business card is a measurement chart containing common mattress sizes, standard batting sizes, yardage required for 2" bias binding and comforter and bed spread sizes for each of the mattress sizes -- very helpful. They also have a frequent shopper punch card which gets you a dollar amount off your next purchase when it is full (I think it's $20.00).
*LOGIN to add a comment on this review
* Only registered members can post comments to the reviews. Membership is free. if you are not a member, please Sign-up now!

Add a Store Review    Read All Store Reviews

Buy Now
You Sew Girl Kids Hats Pattern

You Sew Girl Kids Hats Pattern

Buy Now

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.