Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review

Advanced Search

http://www.spotlight.com.au/shop-at-home/ Fabric
Patterns
Notions
Current Tags What is a Tag:
The Spotlight website is quite basic. It tells you generally what products they have and displays their catalogues and sale offers. For what it is, it works fine.

This review is for the Shop@Home service, which is basically a mail order service. You can order by telephone, fax, mail or online form. The online form is just a form - you have to type in what you want. You cannot select items and add them to a basket like on an ecommerce site.

As Spotlight was having a "three for $10" offer on patterns, and my local shop is not easy to get to (I live in the country), I thought I would give it a go. It was actually a fair bit of work entering the pattern information - my PR wishlist came in handy of course. Then I submitted the online form and waited to hear back.

Your order is sent to the nearest store, and someone phones you to confirm the order and arrange payment (e.g. credit card over the phone).

I don't think I would bother doing this again. Because your order is sent to a store to be fulfilled, the items you want - in my case patterns - could well be out of stock, especially if there has been a sale on, and they don't offer to order them in for you. I hadn't thought this through :-) Even though I ordered a long list of patterns, only about half were available, making the $6.95 postage less economical.

Also, it took a few days for them to get back to me, even discounting the public holidays. A friend will be driving me into the town where Spotlight is next week sometime to pick up my sewing machine from servicing, so I could have just gone in there then. Oh well.

On the plus side, the person who called me to fulfil the order was helpful, but did sound rushed off her feet. She made several calls and checked on extra patterns to add to my order. I was able to add some elastic as well.

Next time I want commercial patterns, I will go down to Melbourne and buy them from Clegs when they are having a sale, or email a friend a list and ask her to go in and get them for me.

To sum up: if what you want is in stock, and paying $6.95 is cheaper/easier than getting to a store, this is a good service. If not, you'd be better off phoning the nearest independent store and asking them post you what you want.
Sewn Square One
Patterns for Your Style.
mertal said...
you are not alone when it comes to spotlight and patterns! I don't know how many times I have been into the store for patterns on special only to be told 'out of stock' even if the sale started that day
1/6/14 0:06 AM
julie w said...
Quite some time ago I ordered fabric that was in their catalogue, my local store didn't have it but I knew it was available in another state, they tried three stores in the same state but refused to send my order interstate but what I don't get is that postage would be the same and it would have taken a lot less time and effort as well as less frustration and no I never hot the fabrics. Like you I now order from independents. Thank you for posting the review.
1/10/14 6:09 PM

Reviewed by: ceridwen on 12/14/13

SewingMachineParts.net
Reviewed by: ShantiSeamstressing on 12/9/13
Add another Web site    Read All Web site Reviews

Any registered trademarks mentioned on this page are the property of their respective owner. Valid and accurate reviews and comments are the responsibility of their posters. As per its Terms and Conditions, PatternReview.com is not responsible for and does not validate or verify the accuracy of these statements. Posters you are responsible for your comments so please ensure that these are substantiated.

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us